Thursday, May 7, 2009

How Far Can I Go?

1 Thessalonians 4:6 is a great help when we are asked, "how far can I go sexually?"

Obviously, we can't violate God's clear commands about adultery, sex outside of marriage and homosexuality. But, what about the supposed gray areas?

God's answer is -- don't transgress and defraud your brother. The word "defraud" also means to take advantage of, exploit, cheat.

When you are considering any action related to sex, ask yourself, would I want someone doing this to my spouse, or would I feel cheated?

Let me explain how this works out in my life.

I don't want someone lusting after my wife's body -- so I don't lust after others whether they are on the TV screen, movie screen, magazine, internet or in the mall.

I don't want someone kissing my wife -- so I don't kiss other people's wives (even if neither of us are married yet).

You can take the applications from here.

Remember, God has called you to holiness. He has called you to purity. Don't rob your brother or sister in Christ by violating their spouse (or future spouse).


In Christ
Pastor Mike

Resource: Josh Harris, Sex Is Not the Problem (Lust Is): Sexual Purity in a Lust-Saturated World